At Capital Homes, we know school districts are important to any family with school-aged children looking for a new place to call home. That's why we build homes in communities near great schools where families will be excited to send their kids. We recently toured Sand Springs Public Schools with Superintendent Sherry Durkee to get the behind-the-scenes scoop on the impressive programs they've developed for the success of their students.
With a focus on STEM programs from K-12, Sand Springs equips students from a young age to become knowledgeable about the world around them in a way that fosters real-world workforce skills. Through partnerships with Tulsa Tech and with options like Virtual Academy, Sand Springs Public Schools is preparing its students to become independent, productive citizens.
Here's a summary of 3 of these transformative programs, from their website:
stands for Individual Career Academic Plan.
Through a rigorous curriculum and a variety of career academic offerings, Sand Springs Schools works to engage students in academic and career development opportunities to help students develop career interests for post-secondary pursuits.
ICAP is a student-driven, ongoing process that actively engages students, enabling them to:
Understand their own interests, strengths, values and learning styles
Create a vision of their future
Develop individual goals as related to a Career Cluster or Career Pathway
- Prepare a personal plan for achieving their vision and goals
- OKCollegeStart provides students with the tools to help them as they explore career possibilities, determine interests and identify skills & strengths necessary for success.
- OKCollegeStart contains Skills Assessments aimed at helping guide students toward an appropriate Career Cluster or Career Pathway aligned to interests, skills and academic strengths.
- For more information on OKCollegeStart, visit their website here.
- A Career Cluster is a grouping of occupations and broad industries based on commonalities.
Expectations at the Career Cluster level represent the skills and knowledge, both academic and technical, that all students within the Career Cluster should achieve regardless of t
Expectations at the pathway level represent the skills and knowledge, both academic and technical, necessary to pursue a full range of career opportunities within a pathway— ranging from entry level to management, including technical and professional career specialties.
For more information on homes available in Sand Springs Public Schools, check out our Stone Villa II neighborhood.